Yamaha F15 power cable

Marcel[NL]

Recruit
Hi, I want my battery moved to the front of the boat.
To do this I want to make a suitable cable from the front to the back, ending in some sort of plug socket because I want to be able to switch and connect my electric outboard as well..

Can I connect my outboard with a cigarette like plug? If this safe? How many amps do I have to keep in mind? Do you have suggestions?

Kind regards,

Marcel
The Netherlands

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
No, a cigarette like plug won't do it. Too much current. The starter motor for that model more than likely draws in excess of 100 amps.

Keep in mind that when you run an additional length of cable to the battery it has to be sized to prevent excessive voltage drop. Otherwise you may have problems starting the motor.

Is there a particular reason for wanting to move the battery forward? Might be better to leave the battery where it is and just run cables forward that can be dedicated to the electric outboard motor. Sized appropriately of course and make sure those cables are circuit protected with a fuse or circuit breaker.

Marcel[NL]

Recruit
Hi, thanks for the response. It was because I wanted to get more weight in the front. I've got an balance issue, my bow rises insanely high when on full throttle..
The trolling motor is at the back of my boat as well..

More likely take a look at hydrofoils to tackle this problem?
Any suggestions at this topic as well? :)
It's a 4.5 meter boat, a Taylor 49, with 15 horsepower motor.