Yam 50hp outboard - surging & acts like no power is delivered to prop at high RPM

expetrush

Recruit
under cruising speed, the motor works fine. If I open the throttles, the engine will surge & seems to loose all power to the prop. Once I drop the rpms back to neutral, the prop will bite again & see fine. Any ideas?

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome to iboats :)

Hub is torn, it could be cavitation, the rev liimiter could be kicking in, you maybe going into limp mode, and the best thing to do is start with the hub. Put the boat in gear with the engine off and try to spin it by hand. If it seems okay, still take the cotter key out, and the nut off. Pull the prop and inspect the hub. Have you had any prop strikes? Does it make any funny noises? Why do you have to go all the way to neutral? have you tried just dropping it to idle? Can you romp the throttle and have it bounce off the rev limiter without going anywhere? I am sure I can think of a bunch more questions. You are going to need to supply far more information.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Could be anything, from prop slip to electrical issues heating up/shorting and engine missing along...

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, expetrush. The motor may by on an inflatable, but it is clearly a motor or prop related question. I'm moving this to the Yamaha/Suzuki OB sub-forum where you may have a better shot for advice. It's very possible you have a prop problem, but lets start with the motor. Good luck.

Last edited: