No spark #3 (bottom) cyclinder. 1999 c90tlrx 2 stroke, this has been fun!

cgvirginia

Recruit
Thank you for looking, any ideas and help would be great. 99 yam90hp 2stroke

Problem- cant run higher than 2500rpm under load, boggs out and dies. Starts great, idles5K+ no prob, cant get enough power for up on plane.

Findings- no spark #3 bottom cylinder. Cyc 1and2 are good. compression good even though that has nothing to do with spark. fuel and carbs are good, but that has nothing to do with no spark.

I bought 2 new coils (has 3 separate) replaced them, tested all wires and boots, switched them all around, they all work, no spark#3 still.

Had a tough time testing volts and ohms. Checked and cleaned all grounds and other connections. REPLACED stator and still no spark #3. Engine starts and runs even better after stator but still no spark #3.

I have read that if a cdi goes bad usually all spark is lost...I understand electronics can fail in any way and form. Cdi goes to recificator and trigger, then stator. Before I replace everything, anyone have any experience or ideas?

I attempted ohm test on all electrical components but don't have charts, and was getting mixed readings so here I am!
Thank you again!!!!

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
follow the service manuals steps and test the peak voltages into and out of the cdi using the proper meter or a DVA adapter with regular meter