2006 yamaha f115 four stroke jumped time

biiigmike

Recruit
a dirt dobber built a nest on my exhaust cam sprocket and caused the timing belt to jump up and now the engine wont start. with cyl 1 at tdc my flywheel marks line up and the intake cam mark is where it should be, but my exhaust sprocket is 2 notches away from being aliened with my intake sprocket. can i remove the belt and manually turn the exhaust cam to alien with the intake cam without hurting anything else?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The F115 is an interference motor. Meaning that valves can collide with pistons if the camshaft timing is not correct.

At this point you have nothing to lose so certainly you can remove the belt and re time the motor. You won't do any more damage. I suspect the damage has already been done.

biiigmike

Recruit
I pulled the spark plugs out, and put a video probe into the cylinders and did not see any damage at all, so i reset my exhaust cam to where it should be, put the belt back on and turned the engine by hand just to make sure everything was as it should be, and then reinstalled the plugs. Turned the key and Booyah...it fired right up, and runs as good as ever. Thanks for your advice. I probably saved thousands.. :)

biiigmike

Recruit
I pulled the spark plugs out, and put a video probe into the cylinders and did not see any damage at all, so i reset my exhaust cam to where it should be, put the belt back on and turned the engine by hand just to make sure everything was as it should be, and then reinstalled the plugs. Turned the key and Booyah...it fired right up, and runs as good as ever. Thanks for your advice. I probably saved thousands.. :)