Boat stalls only in rough water

bckkracker

Recruit
I have 2003 Yamaha 225 4 stroke outboard on a 23ft Caravelle WA. The boat is new to me, 4 months so I don't know it's history, but the major, and really only problem is that when I hit rough water, even just water with several boat wakes, within about 5 minutes, it begins to sputter and finally stalls. I can get it started again by pumping the gas bulb on the gas line, but it stalls again as soon as the gas in the lines is used up. I had it tuned 2 weeks ago by a Yamaha master mechanic, new plugs, new fuel filters, new fuel water separator. The tune up improved performance a bit, it runs like a champ in smooth water. I've also had the gas tank polished to remove any water(there really wasn't any we discovered) I'd be grateful for any ideas. Planning to replace the fuel pick up next to see if that helps.

chackett

Seaman
Have you checked the sending unit and pickup tube? Sounds like maybe there's a problem with pickup maybe?

bckkracker

Recruit
Replacing the pick up is my next step, although there's not much mechanically that can go wrong with a pick up is there? It's just an outlet port and tube...

The sending unit is new, and functioning properly. Learning a lot about my boat trying to diagnose this problem!

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Easy to focus first on a fuel problem - but consider that ignition is still a viable candidate for the failure.
If it were me, check out fuel lines, pick ups, look for fuel "spots" on the paper towels I would have stuffed under suspicious areas - (short term, just before testing the motor)
But don't overlook a loose ground wire - or similar problem.

Fuel, Ignition, compression. You need all three systems.

bckkracker

Recruit
My next step is to replace the fuel lines. One is rubber hose from the motor to the fuel water separator, that will be easy to replace and hopefully the cause. the other is the newer style reinforced hose, not sure the term for it, but runs under the deck, will be a real challenge to replace.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
monitoring fuel pressures/vacuum and using a clear tubing to watch for air bubbles during testing is what I would do.
Good info in the frequently ask question section of this forum

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
monitoring fuel pressures/vacuum and using a clear tubing to watch for air bubbles during testing is what I would do.
Good info in the frequently ask question section of this forum