Suzuki DT115 high pressure fuel pump no power up!

Rabbitdawg

Cadet
Working on an older K model Suzuki DT115 (1989) that had a hatchet job done on it by vandals while parked at a car dealer. I have got spark on all four cylinders and engine has good compression on all cylinders (130ish). My problem is the high pressure fuel pump will only power up sporadically. I have removed the high pressure pump and bench tested and it is free and works fine with 12V power. Occasionally while trying to troubleshoot it will act normal and come on for a couple of seconds and pressurize the fuel lines but most of the time it will do nothing. It will even crank up and run for about two seconds and then quit ater fuel pressure bleeds off (when the pump happens to get power). I have checked and cleaned all the grounds and even gone so far as to jump a separate jumper wire to the grounds from the battery neg while testing just to be sure. I've ohmed all the battery cables, they are good. Been a long time since I worked on one of these and my fading memory wants to tell me there are three things that have to happen for the CDI to function properly. Key on power, gear counter signal and something else. I've searched my notes from school (ten years ago now) and I can't find that info, also been through the service manual (factory) and the addendum, as well as some of the tech manuals that I have. What kind of voltage should the gear counter coil show when tested? Also forgot to mention that I have done the wiggle test on all the associated wiring and can't find a loose or bad connection. I am leaning towards a bad CDI module but I have had so few legitimate Suzuki CDI problems over the years that I doubt that really being the case. The module is about 1200.00 My biggest concern is for someone that works on them everyday to confirm for me all the inputs to the CDI that I am supposed to have.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know that on my 2000 DT200, the high pressure fuel pressure pump is on an on off count. It doesn't stay on the whole time the engine is running. I had to keep the fuel primer bulb pumped up by hand to keep the engine running until I figured out that mine was locked up from gummed up fuel. I believe the fuel pump had it's own control module. If keeping the fuel primer bulb pumped up keeps it running longer, perhaps adding a temporary fuel pressure gauge will verify pressure. I bought a gauge and fittings from NAPA in case I ever had an issue again. Other than that, I can't help. Good luck.

jc55

I know that on my 2000 DT200, the high pressure fuel pressure pump is on an on off count. It doesn't stay on the whole time the engine is running. I had to keep the fuel primer bulb pumped up by hand to keep the engine running until I figured out that mine was locked up from gummed up fuel. I believe the fuel pump had it's own control module. If keeping the fuel primer bulb pumped up keeps it running longer, perhaps adding a temporary fuel pressure gauge will verify pressure. I bought a gauge and fittings from NAPA in case I ever had an issue again. Other than that, I can't help. Good luck.

jc55

Try pumping the fuel primer bulb after start up to see if the engine stays running.

Rabbitdawg

Cadet
The primer bulb fills the vapor separator, it is working fine. The high pressure pump is not receiving the voltage from the CDI that it needs to kick on and supply high pressure fuel to the injectors. I am looking for someone that has worked on these recently that can confirm ALL the inputs to the CDI so I can decide that the CDI is doing its job and telling the high pressure pump to turn on. If all the inputs to the CDI are good and something is not working on the output side that means the module is bad. I know I have this somewhere in notes from years ago but I can't locate it to save my life!

Rabbitdawg

Cadet
Update-I read the date wrong on the engine tag, it was a 1998 not a 1989. DUH ! I guess I may be getting dyslexia in my old age!

Last edited:

jc55

We knew that. A carbed DT wouldn't have the high pressure pump.