Motor problems at boat ramp

kvo2128

Cadet
I have a 1989 Suzuki DT 65. The motor starts great every time I start it, except on the boat ramp when I'm in an inclined position. This happens when I go fishing with someone who can back me in. When I go with my wife I have to back in and unload the boat and then boat the trailer away. When I come back yo start it, it starts great (level position). It starts great at home as well with the bunny ears. What might be causing this and what can I do. I'm mechanically challenged, so simple terms for this guy. The boat does start on an incline, but takes forever. Thanks

Bifflefan

Commander
First question, Why are you starting it on the ramp when its not in the water? NEVER do that!!!

Problem is likely there is not enough fuel in the bowl to get gas to the jet on the incline.

vinnie1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not good to start that without it being in the water. If you have the tail end in the water and are starting on an incline the reason it doesn't start is almost certainly the float position as bifflefan suggests.
I won't use the word problem here, because the motor really isn't intended to run in the reverse inclined position. The float level would be calculated for the range of inclines that are common while the motor is in service. Tilted the other way.

If I were you I wouldn't touch it, unless it starts to malfunction while powering the boat.

vinnie1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since you mentioned that you were mechanically challenged, I would add that the float we are talking about relates to the fuel level in the carb. It operates very much like the float in your toilet bowl. Once the fuel level reaches the correct height, the float stops the flow of fuel into the carb. As the motor runs and drains the float bowl, the float drops and allows fuel to refill. If you were to put your toilet on an angle, the water level would cause the float to shut the water off early, or late - depending which way it was tilted. The carb float works in the same way.