Yamaha 60 hp -87, change to newer powerhead?

modopopcorn

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a boat a couple of weeks ago and along with it came a Yamaha 60 hp 2-stroke -87, the engine ran great but I noticed there were a bit of white smoke when I had driven for a while.

I suspected that there was a problem with the thermostat as there was some corrosion on the thermostat housing, when I was going to remove the thermostat the 2 bolts broke of and I've been to hell and back trying to remove the broken bolts and not damage any aluminium, some aluminum were damaged and I've applied some luquid gasket and hopefully it will hold when I test it tonight. However if it doesn't hold I'd like to have a backup plan.

On the Swedish equivalent to craigslist I've found a complete powerhead and according to the seller it's from a 60 or 70 hp engine and from anywhere between 1997 and 2003. On the outside the powerhead is very similar, the only difference I can see Is the location of the electric starter.

Does anyone here know if this powerhead would fit right on my rig and drive shaft? The powerhead is complete with all electronics and ran great according to the seller.

I don't know, maybe it's a good investment to buy this powerhead even if my thermostat housing holds dry, a 60 hp Yamaha from around 2000 costs about $4500-5000 in Sweden and this powerhead is avaliable for about $500.

I apologize in advance for bad grammar and/or spelling =)