New rigging for a 1989 ProV 150

duppie03

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased at 1989 ProV150 to replace my old 90hp Mercury. I plan on mounting and installing the motor myself but the motor came with a 703 side mount control, and I plan on using a 704 top mount. It also didn't come with any gauges, so my questions are what wiring harness do I need to buy or can I use the harness from the 703? Which Tach should I purchase?

Thank you,

Aaron

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The wiring harness from the 703 will work, I suggest you get a Yamaha tach, but almost any tach with the correct pulse setting will work. The cables should also interchange and have adjustments, they will need to be the correct length though.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The 703 harness will not work with the 704 box. Unless some serious modification work is performed. One would usually use the harness designed to interface with the top mount control. A key switch panel with kill switch is also needed.

Newer gauges will needed the newer style trim oil harness. You will need adapter harnesses at the motor to interface with the newer style trim oil harness.

duppie03

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you both for your help. I ordered the new 10 pin, 704 harness, the new 704 binnacle, and new key switch assembly. I was also able to find a pre 1994 tach that pugs into my motor.

The last question I have is about my remote oil tank. I tested the pump on it and it works great, but I the tank didn't have a primer bulb, so my question is do I need a specific bulb for pumping oil?