1985 Suzuki Cabrea EL60 Stalling out

TheRiddler

Recruit
Long time reader of this forum and 1st time poster. Thanks in advance for any insight as I am a beginner to the boating world and just picked up my 1st boat and willing to learn.

The problem I am having is the boat is ongoing lose of power, and eventually stalling out. A week ago when this first started I removed the carburetor and cleaned and blew in compressed air. Found some build up and took care of it. I ran a fuel cleaner and dumped the old fuel. I ran her in my yard on a set of muffs and everything appeared to be ok. After doing all the work I ran her this past Sunday outside of Boston Harbor and she ran great, but then the same problem returned. The Cabrea ran well for 2 hours and then gradually bogged down and decelerated until it was no more. I got her re-started once, she ran and then bogged down again until it was no more. Turned over, and over again, and could not get her too fire. Towed back to port.

Here is a list of things I did today to try and solve the problem. As of this morning the cabrea was still in the same state, would not start.

1) Pulled the outlet of the fuel pump to check for pressure, turned the key and got a sputter of fuel to come out and then it stopped.

2) Bought a spark tester. Put it inline, A OK on both plugs. I have spark.

3) Bought a compression tester and removed spark plugs. Top cylinder 102 psi bottom cyl. 101. I don't know what the specs are on this motor but I believe the standard on here is between 5%. I got that.

3) The fuel filter I bought came in the mail. Changed that out, took off the fuel pump and inspected for debris.

4) Putt on the muffs and tried to start and got her to start up.

5) Let her run for a while and can hear her surging up and down @ idle.

6) removed outflow on fuel pump and it was very low pressure.

7) It appears to be fuel pump related but can't be sure.

Does anyone know how much PSI comes out of the outlet side of the pump? Is it a few pounds or does it come out at a good clip? It appears not much is coming out. Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: