Yamaha 70HP 2-stroke wont stay running

JoshJK

Seaman
Just recently bought a boat that has a 1985 Yamaha 70HP 2 stroke outboard on it. The engine starts perfectly fine, but will only run for about 20-30 seconds and then shut off. When it does start and is running, it runs very well. It does not miss, knock or anything like that. Can some please point me in a direction on what to check? Thank you

JoshJK

Seaman
I tried to restart the engine after it quit and I flooded it. Can anyone help me with this please

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It will come down to fuel or spark, I would lean toward fuel at this point. Try pumping the bulb with it running. If it keeps running fuel pump. If not get a spray bottle with premix in it. With the carb cover off and motor running try spraying fuel directly into the carbs, does it keep running? If so when is the last time the carbs were cleaned? Try another fuel tank, it could also be your problem.

JoshJK

Seaman
Another question. The boat this engine is in has a advertised weight of 1080lbs. Is this engine going to be adequate for skiing? It is in a crestliner Nordic 16 ft deep v

JoshJK

Seaman
Decided to just take the boat to a local shop to have it fixed. I will report back with what the issue was. I hope it is something simple and cheap.