Low oil alarm in 2009 Yamaha 150 VMAX 2-stroke

Jordons1

Recruit
Hello, here is my dilemma. I had a low oil light come on yesterday. I was able to get the boat trailered to find that the main oil reservoir on the motor side was down to the lowest line. I did some investigating today by disconnecting the hoses and using the emergency switch to pump oil. I could get oil to come through but very slowly, almost a trickle. I pulled the oil tank and disconnected the filter and cleaned. Hooked everything back up and still have the same low volume of oil. Is this normal for this pump or how much should be pumping through? I am trying to figure out why the pump is not supplying the reservoir with oil., Thanks for the help.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Filter could be clogged or the oil hose kinked. Or, might be insufficient voltage to the pump. The pump runs but maybe it cannot keep up with the demands of the motor.

Install a new filter and check for the presence of 12 volts to the pump when the pump is running.

Jordons1

Recruit
I checked for any kinks and blew out the filter. I also saw that when I pulled the oil line about midway to the motor that there was very little oil in the line. When i jooked everything back up and used the emergency switch to pump oil that there was a lot of air in the line. Could it have been air locked? I'm not sure how much oil is pumped to be able to check for proper volume.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
It is almost impossible to blow a filter clean. Better to install a new one.

Look at the engine mounted tank. You will see a small plastic sump attached to it. Remove that sump and drain the oil into a clean container for reuse.

Reinstall and secure the sump. Make sure the remote boat tank has plenty of oil in it.

Turn the key to the on position. The horn will sound and a light/icon on a Yamaha tachometer will flash low oil.

Wait just a bit of time and you should see the main engine mounted tank start to fill with oil. The pump will run automatically for either three minutes time or until the main tank is full. If the tank does not fill up in three minutes time then you have a problem with either the pump, the filter, the hoses, or voltage to the pump.

The oil hose cannot air lock. It is open at the inlet into the main oil tank.

Jordons1

Recruit
Great thanks for the info. Do you know what the voltage should be when checked?

Jordons1

Recruit
I replaced the filter and refilled both oil tanks. I ran the boat yesterday and it is still not pulling enough oil from the reserve tank to the tank on the motor. Checked the voltage at the pump and got 12.8 volts. Does anybody know how fast the tank should fill when using the emergency switch? I'm still trying to figure out if this is the pump or another problem.