1996 Yamaha 150SW impeller removal question

Ray_DFW

Recruit
Yamaha 1996 150SW 2 stroke (S150TXRU)

I'm attempting to remove the water pump housing to get to the impeller. But.... directly above the housing is a bearing or bushing on the motor shaft impeding the pump housing from sliding up the shaft for removal. The bearing piece is seized to the the motor shaft (as if it was pressed on) and it looks like any attempt to remove it will damage the part. I've checked several sources and the part is not shown on any service manuals or parts diagrams. I'm stuck. Here is a photo of the part on the shaft.

Need to know...What is that part and how is it removed?? Thx

Yamha's picture, part not listed.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
It's a spring collar to help prevent up and down movement of the driveshaft at certain RPM's, causing a clunking noise. The collar and it's parts(spring washers,etc.) are usually replaced with new ones since the press fit usually destroys them upon removal. After installing the water pump and new spring collar, lift up on the driveshaft while tapping the collar down, thereby taking up any up and down slack there....the clunking sound is more of an aggravation than any real problem, so you could probably live without them. I think it's all something to do with the types of gears in the lower unit of certain motors....My 1999 C90 Yamaha doesn't even have those spring collars....good luck!