DT140 EFI Starts well but stops after 10 seconds.

BroadSword

Recruit
New to boating and slowly losing the will to live through problems stopping me use the boat. Please help keep me smiling.

MY engine is a DT140 2-stroke EFI. No idea how old it is but it appears well loved. Recently changed the water pump although it didn't need it I found out. Oh well. Safe is better than sorry.

Engine starts well, goes through its engine flare routine that Ive read EFI engines do. But then when it drops its revs it suddenly stops. Seems to cut power. No spluttering.

Would be nice to see the diagnostic flash code but ufortunately I dont have a unit fitted and all attempts to find the blinking output have failed using a home made LED probe. The manual I donwloaded from the web is poor quality, pages and circuit in particular are unreadable even magnified at high factor.

Feul seems OK. Starts great immediately afterwards. Spark plugs clean and straw coloured. Ive tried holding the manual throttle open but am scared it'll over rev the engine and anyway what Ive tried thus far still sees the engine stall after 10 seconds.

Does anyone know the colour of the wire that is the diagnostic check engine flash code? Does the flashing continue all the while ignition is on or does it time out?

I know the injectors switch to sequential after start up. Does anyone in the know think its that transition that causes the engine to stall?

Thanks to anyone prepared to help this midlander desperate to get on the water. PS: Running the engine on muffs.

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is crazy! My DT140 started doing the same thing today 7/25/14. I had to abort a fishing trip. I am on the board searching for answers. I'll say I have checked all sensors and the high pressure fuel pump 12vdc input and all are in order.

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
I discovered my problem. I accidentally purchased the wrong spark plugs, ones without resistors. I reinstalled the old ones and everything is back to normal. Glad it was that easy.

BroadSword

Recruit
Interesting. May I ask what were your symptoms before you swapped the plugs back? And I just replaced my spark plugs for the same type- or so I believe. How did you know?

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did not have any problems before the plug swap. I was just doing annual maint. I read the plug box wrong at West Marine because I was in a hurry. I reinstalled my old plugs and everything was good as new on my Saturday fishing trip. I'll pick up the correct new plugs some other time.