Dt65 can't deprecate lower unit from leg

Disschord

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I am trying to remove the lower unit of my suzuki dt65 to replace the impellor. I have removed the 8 bolts on the sides plus the 1 larger one above the prop and I have released the gear change shaft that sits under the carb linkage area but the lower unit will not budge at all. Does anyone have any tips/advise on how to separate the lower unit from the leg. Also the 8 bolts we very hard to remove and were coverd in white powdery stuff?

Ripcord639

Recruit
I would get a stanley knife and gently insert it between the two edges then gently tap the leg with a block of wood anticipating the leg to drop !
Good luck

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Hi I am trying to remove the lower unit of my suzuki dt65 to replace the impellor. I have removed the 8 bolts on the sides plus the 1 larger one above the prop and I have released the gear change shaft that sits under the carb linkage area but the lower unit will not budge at all. Does anyone have any tips/advise on how to separate the lower unit from the leg. Also the 8 bolts we very hard to remove and were coverd in white powdery stuff?

corrosion is bad to deal with sometimes, this is why it is a very good idea to follow the maintenance recommendations of pulling the lower unit every year or two to change water pump so the bolts and shaft get lubed up.

If tapping/hitting on lower unit becareful you do not break/bend metal.
Hope it is just corrosion at the joints and not the drive shaft rusted into the crank.
A little penetrating lube and keep working it
hopefully it will turn loose