2002 Yamaha 115 outboard 2 stroke low oil alarm

tfa

Recruit
I've been reading these forums because I'm frustrated with this issue. The low oil light and SCREAMING alarm on my 2002 Hurricane deck boat continues to go on when running the above mentioned motor. My mechanic said the boat oil tank sensor was bad and he changed that. Not it! The boat oil tank is full and when the alarm goes off I pull the motor cover to find that the motor reservoir is also full, therefore activating the toggle switch is not necessary and does nothing when I do. His fix was that when the alarm goes off, turn the motor off then turn key to the "on" position, lift the motor up past the "trim" and into the "tilt" mode, turn the key off, lower the motor back into the water and start the motor and its fine. He said it has worked for him every time. Somebody in a past post stated that it could be a trim indicator switch not adjusted properly?? But I don't know what that has to do with the low oil system? Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm desperate. I am 2 1/2 hrs. away from my boat and haven't tried his trick yet, but that doesn't fix the issue. Any ideas? I've looked everywhere and other Yamaha dealers aren't very forthcoming with free information. Thank You in Advance.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The sensor in the remote oil tank has nothing whatsoever to do with the oil alarm sounding. The sensor in the main engine mounted tank will sound the alarm if and when the oil gets low in the main tank.

Do you have a Yamaha tachometer? If so, what are you seeing on it?

The same alarm is also activated if it gets too hot.

Finally, remove, inspect, clean and reattach securely the battery cables at both ends. Insufficient battery voltage can cause the alarm.

tfa

Recruit
Thanks for answering. I only have a red light on the dash which turns on with the alarm. I know it's not overheating because that has happened to me and I have cleaned the intakes on both sides of the motor to correct it. I will try cleaning the battery cables.

tfa

Recruit
But would insufficient battery voltage also make the low oil light come on with the alarm?? Or would that make the alarm come on independently from the low oil light?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Low voltage can make all sorts of gremlins appear.

If voltage is good then check the main oil tank float sensor. When the float drops to the bottom a switch applies a ground to the engines computer. The alarm will sound and the light will illuminate. If a wire is pinched and gets shorted to ground the same thing will happen.

tfa

Recruit
I already replaced the main oil tank sensor. I will follow the wiring to see if anything is loose or pinched. Could the trim indicator switch have anything to do with it?