1989 Yamaha 130hp oil injection????

Jim Spetzman

Recruit
I am trying to learn about how the oil injection system works. On my brothers boat, he has a remote oil reservoir tank with a hose that goes from it to the motor. There is no squeeze bulb on the line and the hose just sits loose in the tank. I didn't see any wires going to the tank? Now on the motor, there is a small oil reservoir with a float assembly?? coming out of the top with wires. How does the oil get to the motor tank and when? Does it need a squeeze bulb to prime the system? I will have more questions, so thanks ahead of time. Jim

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
There is (or should be) a hose that runs from the remote tank to the main engine tank.

There is (or should be) a wire harness that runs from the remote tank to the main engine tank.

Both tanks have sensors in them.

When the main tank gets low on oil a switch in the sensor closes to tell the computer that oil is needed. The computer will turn on the oil pump in the remote tank if there is a certain amount of oil in the remote tank.

Oil will flow from the remote tank to the main tank. When the main tank has enough oil a switch will close telling the computer to stop transferring oil.

If the remote tank is low on oil then the automatic transfer system will stop working. There is a toggle switch that can be used to force the pump to work to transfer whatever oil remains in the remote tank.

If and when the main tank runs low on oil, an alarm will sound, a tachometer may indicate low oil, and the motor will go into RPM reduction mode.