Yamaha 200TXRP Difficult Starting

Doc z

Cadet
I have Yamaha 200TXRP motors, starboard # 259669, port #703727. The port motor starts up on the first crank every time but the port motor haphazardly gives a hard start problem. When cold it usually fires up but then stalls and is difficult to restart. It takes several cranking attempts. After running for a while if it is off for a half hour it will give me the same problem. Occasionally it will start on the first crank but not always. I go through the same starting procedure with both engines so I haven't a clue as to why the port motor is so temperamental. Anyone got any ideas? Maybe a weak coil? I put new plugs in which did not help.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
have you tried pumping the primer bulbs before starting to make sure each motor is fully primed with fuel?

You will have to monitor fuel pressure and maybe spark to find out what is missing when it will not start.
Being carbed 1991 my guess is the fuel is draining back to tank, maybe air leak or check valve

Doc z

Cadet
Yes, that was my first thought but it did not help. It really is a random problem that only occurs 50% of the time. I'm thinking maybe a weak ignition?

Doc z

Cadet
No one has any suggestions? If it fires on the first turn if the key it will run fine but if not it takes time to get started. I've tried pumping the ball, hitting the primer and the choke at different time none of which make a difference.

Doc z

Cadet
Update...........I got a second boat with the same motors and they do the same thing but now I notice it only occurs in water when it is wavy. I will reset a drift then 20 minutes later they will be hard to start.......when they start they smoke a lot for a few seconds. Also, kicking the throttle forward in neutral helps a lot. I've replaced the bulbs, plugs, cleaned the carbs, checked the fuel lines. It seems like when the boat is rocking around the carbs flood the motor making it hard to start. When I move into a bay where it is calm like glass the motors fire up instantly every time.

Any suggestions ???

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Might try tilting the motors after shut down just a little to see if that helps.
I do not know if it will help ,but who knows