1998 Suzuki DT 200 won't start

boatn19

Recruit
Need help troubleshooting. I have twin 1998 Suzuki DT 200 outboards. This problem started while running 25 kts. At motor started to over heat so I shut off. After it cooled it wouldn't restart. I pulled the cowling and noticed I the starter was smoking (I know better than to let the smoke out). Got home ordered a new starter and water pumps. Replaced both starter and water pump but the motor still won't start. Since batteries are getting older 3 yrs. I replaced both batteries. Port engine is fine. Starboard motor still won't start and starter is barely turning over like loss of voltage. Before cranking I have 13+ volts at solinoid and while cranking it drops. Next I replace the battery wires from outboard to battery switch and from battery switch to batteries. Still won't start. Checked for spark and no spark. What next? Any advice?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if it is barely turning over and voltage drops too far it will not start/fire properly.
you need to see if motor is binding up.
lower unit, shaft bushing, or power head problems.
try tuning it by hand.
if difficult to turn, drop lower unit to see if it will then turn easier

boatn19

Recruit
thank you I'll check that tomorrow after work!
if it is barely turning over and voltage drops too far it will not start/fire properly. you need to see if motor is binding up. lower unit, shaft bushing, or power head problems. try tuning it by hand. if difficult to turn, drop lower unit to see if it will then turn easier