1986 Yamaha 90 HP outboard oil alarm comes on oil tank full

Fritztek

Cadet
Motor starts and runs great. Warning buzzer sounds when going slow for a short period of time (usually a wakezone, usually after running for a while). Getting out of the wakezone (buzzer still sounding) accelerates OK untill about 2000 rpm and starts curtting out (RPM limiter). I run it at about 1800 rpm with buzzer alarm blaring for about a minute - then the buzzer goes off and it runs fine accellerates normally. It will run fine all day until going slow again for a relatively short amount of time. It does not appear to be overheating (Owner's Manual cause #1). Engine is not exceptionally hot, no heat related smell, the water hole has a decent flow and warm/hot stream. Oil tank is full (Owner's manual cause #2). One thing I haven't been able to check for is clogging in the oil filter (oil screen) (cause #3). I have located the oil filter screen - the top of it is a rubber cap on the oil tank and has 3 wires going into it (located below the starter). Looks like it should just pop-off by hand or with a screwdriver, but it does not want to come off, and I don't want to break it. Any advice on the buzzer and/or getting the oil filter (screen) removed is much appreciated!

Fritztek

Cadet
The issue appears to be related to the impeller which was in very poor condition. I replaced it but broke a bolt on the water pump and a bolt under the trim and am fearful about testing without replacement bolts. The stems broke leaving the trim bolt sticking out and the water pump bolt recessed in. I haven't had any success with bolt extractors but will keep trying.