2004 Suzuki DF-50 tilt/trim just clicks

hatrak

Recruit
Hello, I'm new to this and struggling. My tiller motor's PTT just clicks when I try either switch, up or down. The battery is fully charged and the motor starts. I disconnected the blue and green leads on the relays that go to the PTT motor, and touched them to a 12 volt source. The tilt went up, then reversed the polarity and the tilt went back down. Now I guess I know the PTT motor and hydraulics work fine. What would be my next step to determine the problem ? Can anyone help ?

the trim works off 2 relays. Both relays are connecting common on the relays (trim motor connection) to dc negative when you are not touching the trim buttons. When you trim up the up relay switchs state so the common on that relay is now connected to dc plus, So if neither up or down works but you hear a click that means either a bad ground to relay box, burnt contacts on relay or in the base causing resistance, one burnt out relay contact or no power to the relay box. Power to the trim comes off its own fuse the relays will still click if the key has to be turned on to use trim but the trim motor will not get power if the fuse is blown (inline near relay box or starter solenoid)

hatrak

Recruit
Thank you Glenn. I am a novest at computers as well as electricity. I just lost a long message to you so I'm starting over. I printed out your reply and I will see what I can do. I have a meter and the service manual but very little knowledge. The tilt doesn't work thru the key on this one. As long as you have the battery hooked up, the tilt switch on the side of the engine or on the tiller should make it work. As I said, they both just make the relays click right now. I will see what I can do with what you told me so far and then I will get back to you. I'm not sure what lug connection is what. Talk at you later!

hatrak

Recruit
I finally got the problem resolved. I was afraid to jump into the wiring but that's all it took. I removed the two relays, cleaned all connections well, and tested the relays by the book with a meter on the bench. One passed all three testing methods. The other one passed two and the third method sometimes. I put both relays back in and it worked fine for about twenty up and downs and then it wouldn't go down again. I then got a new relay and replaced the one that was iffy. Knock on wood, I think it is fixed. Thank you many much for the help. I learned a lot.