1986 yamaha 70 etlj trim sensor / gauge

nayborbob2

Seaman Apprentice
my trim gauge is pegged nose down even though I can manually trim the motor up and down. I checked ohms resistance between the pink and black wires at connector near the gauge but it indicates open circuit for all positions (with key on). I can trim the motor up and down from either the motor or the throttle lever. I think the sensor may be bad. Can anyone tell me what the resistance range should be from full up to full down trim and did I check the right wires? Should there be voltage across the orange and grey wires? I've attached a picture of the sensor which looks to be operable and in good shape. Thanks for any help

Last edited:

nayborbob2

Seaman Apprentice
Checked for resistence across any 2 of the four wires coming out of the sensor at the connector at the powerhead...still reads open circuit on all of them. I wonder if ignition on is required to test for resistance. .. wouldn't think so but cannot find any instruction. .. looks like I am in for a new sensor

nayborbob2

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Still working this issue... I think the sender is bad, now trying to evaluate the gauge. From another post I think I learned that for the 4 wire harness from the sender to the gauge, black is ground, orange is 5V reference and pink is trim position relative to the 5V reference. Grey is a warning light for overheat. Tried to set 12V from pink to black and expected gauge to ping full up trim per direction from boat dealer parts guy... no response. Found another reference said the orange and pink were reversed from above, so I tried 12V from orange to black. That caused the needle to wiggle but it stayed at trim full down. So I removed the gauge and noticed there are actually 5 wires going into the gauge at 1 spot - black, orange, pink and grey from the sender, but also yellow from under dash. Then there is a black wire and a blue wire going to the gauge lamp. My question is where does this thing get power from? the sender is just a potentiometer so you can measure resistance across it, but the gauge must be driven by voltage. If what I was told is correct, the yellow would seem to have to be the power that gets applied across the orange and pink??? but under the dash the yellow is essentially connected to ground... so it makes no sense 2 ground wires going into the unit...Confusion! Starting to wonder if previous owner mucked it up. Can anybody give me the scoop on all these wires and if I tested it right? Attached a few photos. Seems the blue wire goes hot with key on, and I am thinking I need key on for gauge to register anything.

Thanks for any help!

nayborbob2

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

every time I try to post I get an error msg and once again no photos.. WTF with this site... I made sure photos are small (<50kb). Trying again w/ photos

nayborbob2

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

every time I try to post I get an error msg and once again no photos.. WTF with this site... I made sure photos are small (<50kb). Trying again w/ photos...