Yamaha 90HP 4-Stroke Trim Level During Storage

snooktarpon

Cadet
I have a 2003 Yamaha 90HP 4-Stroke (w/Carbs). There are times during the summer where my boat will sit 5-6 weeks without any use. I keep the boat indoors and the motor is typically trimmed up with the transom saver installed.

Is it acceptable to keep it in the trimmed up position for 5-6 weeks? Should I remove the transom saver and trim it down. Not sure if the trim position can affect gas sitting the carbs and possibly gum them up.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 90HP 4-Stroke Trim Level During Storage

I have the same motor bought in 07, mine stays outside under a cover. I like to store mine trimed all down to keep the tilt/trim piston inside the bore and keep it clean. I've had the O-rings/seals repaced already because of a leak from the piston/bore. I always add Ringfree and fuel stabilizer and recently switched to non Ethanol gas and my motor has never run/idled as well as it does now w/o the Ethanol fuel. I also try to run it on the muffs at least once a month when I'm not using it. I don't know if storing w the carbs tilted will cause problems, but when I used Ethanol fuel even w Ethanol specific fuel treatment my motor would often take 3 to 7 tries to get it running after sitting 3-5 weeks. It would finally crank, run rough, and die several times before it would Idle and then it was idling rough. I tried tilting it up when it was bucking, and it would smooth out and idle smoothly most every time after tilting it about halfway to the top and back down. I have no idea why but it worked. That problem went away w the E fuel.

Last edited:

snooktarpon

Cadet

Thanks. My gut was telling to trim it down.

FYI, I just installed a fuel water separator filter. I read that ethanol attracts water so the filters helps with that. I cannot find ethanol free gas nearby so I'm hoping the filter helps with that. BTW, I heard these filters have been standard on all boats for several years.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I had a lot of problems w my motor before adding a fuel water separator after getting some great advice here on Iboats. I'm going to continue to use it even though I plan to use only non ethanol fuel for as long as I can buy it