2000 DT200 high pressure fuel pump troubleshooting

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This all started with water in the fuel. I've been working on this for two days. The boat ran in January when I bought it but has been sitting since. Now, It only runs while pumping the primer bulb, and keeping it pumped hard. Swapped primer bulbs, used clamps, and have an air tight system from the Racor filter to the motor. After going through just about everything in the fuel system, draining and purging with new fuel, disassembling and cleaning EVERYTHING, the motor still only runs if you stay on the primer bulb.

This high pressure fuel pump is getting voltage from the electrical system. I primed it, and connected it to an external 12volt power supply, it hums but doesn't pump. As I was writing this, I thought...hmmm. Maybe the power supply has too low of an amperage output. I went outside and hooked up the battery charger...2A hums, 10 amp hums, 60 amp, hums, then PUMPING! 10 amp, 2 amp, still pumping.

IMG_2283.jpg

Ok, so these things are $500. Should I get another pump on order now that it seems to be working? $500 is inSANE! There isn't a lot on the DT200, so I thought I'd document my experience.