1987 Yamaha 115 ETLH , Removal of Broken Upper Shift Shaft

Lackdog

Recruit
First time posting on this forum, after viewing many helpful posts.
Trying to R & R the broken upper shift shaft on my 1987 Yamaha 115hp, V-4 ,fresh water engine, "an oldtimer", but engine still runs great.
Carbs and intake manifold removed without much problem.
However having difficulty getting the clearance required to pull/pry out the broken upper shift shaft from under the air intake housing.
I can cut the old shaft from underneath the lower cowling to remove it, but concerned about getting a new shift shaft re-installed w/o damage.
Previous posts have removed the upper shift shaft on the V-4 Yamaha, without pulling off the powerhead.
Is there a trick / tip to removal that I'm missing here ? Any assistance, greatly appreciated.

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Yamaha 115 ETLH , Removal of Broken Upper Shift Shaft

As you raise the shift shaft out of the hole pull it towards you to sneak it by. If you pry make sure you protect any machined surface so you don't damage it.
The shaft has a good amount of flex built into it and with some persuasion it will go back together the same way.
One trick I learned was to use the broken half of the shaft as a guide to get it through the lower hole in the mid section.
Just slip the splined ends together and push it through.
You'll get it just step back and look at it for a moment or two then have at it.

Lackdog

Recruit

Thanks Doug,
I appreciate your additional tip regarding shift rod removal. I'm finding it requires quite a bit of "persuasion" to get out from under the crankshaft casing. I'm going to replace the old shift shaft with welded stainless, hopefully it re-installs OK....

Lackdog

Recruit

Yes, I have checked out the Shift Shaft replacement website for older Yamaha outboards.
Just not sure how secure the connection would be at top of shift rod where it splines into the upper shift arm.
Wondering if anyone has experience with the shift shaft replacement they could share.