1990 85 HP Yamaha CV85ETLD Tilt/Trim Troubleshooting

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just picked up the subject motor last week. The guy told me the tilt/trim wasn't working. The engine runs, so next step is solving this issue. Is there any troubleshooting tips for this? Have not looked at it yet, but the plan is to put power to the motor and see if it works. The guy has disconnected the entire unit including one of the hydraulic lines, so I'm pretty sure I'll have to add fluid to the system.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1990 85 HP Yamaha CV85ETLD Tilt/Trim Troubleshooting

hard to say what could be wrong with it as we have no idea what it was doing

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hard to say what could be wrong with it as we have no idea what it was doing
Agreed, thus the nature of my question, just looking for basic tests since the seller told me it doesn't work. Anyone have any idea what size bolts hold the unit in place? I guess the previous owner tried to take it out and realized the motor needed to be supported and gave up.
Doing a water pump kit this evening, should have more to go on soon.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We figured out the motor is not working. I've found tilt-trim motors on ebay for a 92-95 or so for around $85 bucks. The one for my model is $180. Anyone know if the newer, cheaper motor will work? The part number is almost the same 6H1-43880-00-00 vs.
6H1-43880-02-00 for the newer one. I realize it's a long shot, but you never know.

midsized johnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Turns out the motor works, tilt trim works. I'm guessing the motor locked up and the previous owner assumed the worst. We tapped on it to get it off the unit which might have freed it up. May be future issues with the motor, but for now it's working.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Turns out the motor works, tilt trim works. I'm guessing the motor locked up and the previous owner assumed the worst. We tapped on it to get it off the unit which might have freed it up. May be future issues with the motor, but for now it's working.

I would recommend having a look inside the T&T motor to see if there is rust in there.
Should not have moisture or rust as it is a sealed unit.
But the brushes and armature are a pain some times getting them back where they need to go

I have seen the magnets come loose also