Inside of flywheel rubbing on ? something on magneto base.

RebeccaBurg

Cadet
Hello! I'd better ask before popping flywheel... Am unfamiliar with this model: year 1998, 25hp, 2-stroke Yamaha. Tiller, manual start.
When the starter cord is pulled, something inside flywheel physically rubs on something on magneto plate. It sort of scuffles against it & jiggles the plate. This can't be normal, right? The magneto plate also doesn't spring back when throttled down.
Of course, it's not starting, but due to the mystery parts rubbing under the 'wheel, am afraid to cause further damage...
Thank you for any insight :)

RebeccaBurg

Cadet
Re: Inside of flywheel rubbing on ? something on magneto base.

Oop, forgot to mention that this seems to be more than the magnet's normal forces acting on the coils & whatnot.

RebeccaBurg

Cadet

Oh heck, I'm going to be extra squeaky and throw this out there too: what exactly is the "Diaphragm Asy" part# 6L2-14368-00-00? All it seems to do is act like a fancy spring. It doesn't seem to be doing even that.....

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

The rubbing is probably the clutches in the starter recoil hub and normal.

robert graham

Admiral

A nut/bolt/fastener may have come loose and is sticking to the flywheel magnets and making the noise.....best to pull the flywheel and fix it right before it jams something under there....

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Oh heck, I'm going to be extra squeaky and throw this out there too: what exactly is the "Diaphragm Asy" part# 6L2-14368-00-00? All it seems to do is act like a fancy spring. It doesn't seem to be doing even that.....

Sometimes refrred to as a dashpot. Used to slow down the rate of throttle closure to prevent a motor from stalling.

RebeccaBurg

Cadet

Thank you Cheetah, Robert & Boscoe - your better experience pointed me in the right direction! Literally. The recoil was rubbing on age-relaxed anti-start-in-gear thingy, AND scuffling on coil wires that were sticking up & not secured in proper place (got 'em before the insulation wore thru!)
Glad to know what that "diaphragm" does, an important bit. Found that 2 (!) Link rods were missing in Throttle control & shift linkages...thanks to you guys, we saved a lot of time monkeying around with this puzzle! :happy: