Carb cleaner

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it advisable to spray some carb cleaner into the intake of a 2 stroke engine from time to time to help keep the carbs clean? Engine in question is 50 hp tlra. Thanks in advance
Tom

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb cleaner

I don't see how spraying any type carb cleaning into the carb is going to do much of anything. Usually the carb problems are in the needle and seat, the low and high speed needles and things internal. So I wouldn't think a spray into the carb throats would do much of anything... If the carb starts acting up or giving you any problems, remove it/them and go though them the proper way is my suggestion...

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

The carbs are working just fine. I was thinking more along the line of preventive maintenance. Thanks for the input.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Better get a can of Sierra carbon free or equivalent and follow can instructions so to clean internal carbon deposits on pistons and rings, that's if you don't use carbon guard aditives in gasoline frequently. Do it at each minimum 100 worked hours. Will feel a more responsivenes engine when giving gas.

Happy Boating

James R

Commander

I have been recommending using Stabil Marine and before that regular Stabil after I have rebuilt the carbs for some years. Apparently it must be working because the customers dont come back with carb problems. I would also recommend using a water trap filter. They are simple to install. All of my boats have them and of course I use Stabil in all of my fuels.
Never spray carb cleaner into your carb it can only do damage. Carb cleaner is for cleaning the outside and metal bowls and jets. It will destroy any plastic parts.

Last edited:

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never spray carb cleaner into your carb it can only do damage. Carb cleaner is for cleaning the outside and metal bowls and jets. It will destroy any plastic parts.

I was wondering about that part. Thanks for the input all.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sea Foam Spray Sprayed into a carb will loosen carbon deposits on the rings and it is a good idea to "de-carb" a motor at least every 2 years. Mercury Marine sells a spray can of what is called engine tune and that is all it does. OR you can add 16 ounces of sea foam liquid to your gas......expect lots of smoke and it is good practice to change your plugs when done.

Spraying through the carbs with ANY Cleaner is not effective since it just flies past all the passages.

The MOST effective way to clean the carbs is to take them apart and soak them in Carb dip and then carefully re-assemble. The idle passages are tiny and need this......the jets need that too.

Regular carb cleaner (Or starting fluid) will wash the oils away from the bearings and can damage the 2 stroke bearings, cylinders and rings.

smittylv1

Seaman Apprentice

I use Techron concentrate in the fuel tank once a year. One bottle per 10 gallons gasoline. 14 years and never a carb clean or performance problem. A good quality fuel/water separator is also a wise investment.