new Yamaha F115 throttle control issue

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a new Yamaha F115 on a new Smoker Craft Phantom 202. The motor runs great but I am having trouble getting used to the throttle control and was hoping there is an adjustment that can help.

The issue is that when I put the motor into gear in forward or reverse, I have to move the lever a loooooong ways before the throttle begins to actually increase. I have to move the lever almost all the way forward or back before the motor starts to speed up. At that point, there is very little travel distance from idle to full throttle. This makes for some difficulty in fine control of the throttle.

Its especially troubling when docking and you need to go quickly from forward to reverse and back.

Can this be changed by some adjustment in the control box or at the motor?

The control box is a very simple single lever with just trim/tilt - no gauges or anything else on it.

Thanks!

Larry

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: new Yamaha F115 throttle control issue

I believe it can be adjusted at the motor, but If it's new I think I'd have the dealer adjust it for free as it sounds like it was not installed/adjusted correctly by the dealer. Also you should not need to shift forward/reverse while docking once you learn how your boat handles at low speeds and practice coasting in slowly and approaching alongside of the dock not straight on w the bow.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the suggestion!

As it happens, we talked to the local Yamaha dealer yesterday. There MAY be some adjustment that can be made at the controls end. He was not optimistic that much improvement could be made though based on the type of controls that came on the boat. We are going to take it in later this week and have them look at it just in case.

As far as docking - I almost never approach straight on, but, sometimes you dont have any choice depending on tides, currents, wind and space at the dock. The CG aux boating course I took many many years ago recommended approaching at between 20-45 degrees and using a combination of forward and reverse during the procedure - depending on conditions, wind, etc etc. Thats how I normally do it.

More or less like this:

Maneuvering Your Boat

That said - the boat is new to us and we are still getting acquainted :)

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The standard Yamaha 703 controls work very well, and adjustments should satisfy you. Hang in there for your dealer to look at the boat.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im not 100% sure, but I think ours is the 705 flush mount.