1999 dt140 suzuki alarm issue

mike kelleher

Recruit
Excuse me in advance for a lengthy post. 99DT140 suzuki. After installing a knwn good ecm I am experiencing an alarm issue. 15 seconds after start I get a single alarm tone and the engine may or may not go to limp mode. I have replaced the impeller, tested t-stat and temp sensor and I know it is pumping water[pours from t-stat hsng if open]. The alarm is showing a red temp icon and red light under rev. If I continue to run the engine will run and about every 30/45 sec the alarm will go off[1 beep may/may not go to limp]. Water from the stream is warm to the touch but not hot. I also tested the oil level switch and it is working and I drained and cleaned the oil tank an lines but I have no idea how to check the flow sensor. I believe it is getting oil as I see smoke and I have run it for some time. I am lost as what to do or ow to proceed. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thanx

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 dt140 suzuki alarm issue

Have you actually checked the engine temperature with an IR gun?

The rev limiter only actuates above 1750 RPM for the temp alarm.

Why did you have to replace the ECU?

Why are you bothering to investigate the oil injection system if just the temp alarm is activating?

Do you have a factory service manual to properly diagnose that engine or are you just guessing and throwing parts at it?

mike kelleher

Recruit
Re: 1999 dt140 suzuki alarm issue

Have you actually checked the engine temperature with an IR gun?

The rev limiter only actuates above 1750 RPM for the temp alarm.

Why did you have to replace the ECU?

Why are you bothering to investigate the oil injection system if just the temp alarm is activating?

Do you have a factory service manual to properly diagnose that engine or are you just guessing and throwing parts at it?

I don't have a temp gun but I can touch the engine and the stream, warm to the touch, not hot. I replaced the ecm because there was no fuel pump activation. I could power up the fuel pump and it would run. The only parts I have used is the used ecm. I tested the temp sensor and the t-stat. I tested the oil side because someone suggested checking, I don't have a manual. I am beginning to think that the ecm may be the issue, as I can't see what else it might be. Thanks for the reply