Brass fitting on top of block with water coming out of it

vreten

Recruit
Hi, I have a new to me 1997 30hp yamaha that I'm getting going. I had it started the yesterday and it has water coming out of the top brass fitting on the block separate than the other regular pee hose at the bottom of the block. What is it for? My brother says its' for flushing and to put a cap and clamp on it. I did some research and maybe it's a water pressure indicator? Please see image attached. Thanks for any ideas. IMAG1089.jpg

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Brass fitting on top of block with water coming out of it

Is the fitting externally threaded? Looks so but I can't tell for sure. Appears to be the adaptor fitting to which the water pressure tube is attached. The tube that runs to a water pressure gauge.

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

that hole is usually a blank,looks like someone threaded it for water to something else or a pressure gauge

vreten

Recruit

Is the fitting externally threaded? Looks so but I can't tell for sure. Appears to be the adaptor fitting to which the water pressure tube is attached. The tube that runs to a water pressure gauge.

Yep it's threaded 1/4 inch or maybe 3/8.

vreten

Recruit

that hole is usually a blank,looks like someone threaded it for water to something else or a pressure gauge

Interesting that they would put a pressure guage there. I certainly hadn't run across this before. I'll just plug it for now until I get a pressure gauge. Thanks for everyones reply!

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting that they would put a pressure guage there. I certainly hadn't run across this before. I'll just plug it for now until I get a pressure gauge. Thanks for everyones reply!

The gauge does not go there. The gauge is generally up at the helm. A plastic tube connects to the fitting on the motor and runs to the gauge. Water pressure gets converted to air pressure and air pressure activates the gauge.