20hp 4 stroke suzuki help

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
I know a few people here may have a new 20hp 4stroke suzuki so i'm going to ask my question here.I noticed today when my motor was running in idle it was fine but when i just put it in gear it had like a ticking noise in the lower unit.Ok here is the best way i can explain it and i hope it's normal.The motor is brand new so i wonder if it's the gears meshing on breakin.

When i spin the prop with the motor off it's fine and queit.When i grab the hub part and twist back and forth with the motor in idle and off it has like a weird sound like something is loose in the lower unit.It sounds like the gears ticking or something but everything seems to work ok,the motor engages ok and runs ok.When i run water to it and then put it in gear either way it sounds like the prop is vibrating or is lose but it all works ok and is really tight.

Is this normal.It is all tight it just sounds like a ticking or something loose in the lower unit.I never really payed attention to it before until now.Someone told me it could be just gear lash which is normal they told me but i don't know for sure.

Like i said i just grab the hub twist forward and backward pretty fast and it has a weird rattle lose sound of something in the lower unit ticking,I can feel it in the lower unit if i put my hand on it,maybe it's normal i hope.I'm hoping someone can answer me before tom as i'm going out but may have to put those plans on hold if this is not normal.

Any help would be great.

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 20hp 4 stroke suzuki help

Well i found the answer,it's made that way for clearance so my question was answered.