DT4 will not pump water 4hp Suzuki 1987 new impeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
I have replaced impeller, pulled power head and cleaned everything and put down new gasket, blown all out - everything looks good and is clean and clear - will not pump a drop of water - checked water tube and impeller three times - seems exhaust is coming out of pee hole instead of water - motor gets hot - I'm lost !!!!!

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Re: DT4 will not pump water 4hp Suzuki 1987 new impeller

Pulled it apart again hooked up garden hose direct to the water tube water flows fine out the pee hole - put it back together nothing - it seems a lot of bubbles in water barrel at bottom around water pump - it just wont pump up. Could the exhaust be pushing the water down, this is so strange.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

hate to trash this perfectly running motor any ideas here at all - I'm lost

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really stupid question but I have done it did you put the key way back in when you fitted the new impeller? I had a Mariner 9.9 did a similar thing and it turned out there was a plate rotted through that separated the exhaust from the cooling water. It might be worth stripping it back to see especially if your getting to the scrapping it point.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Yes key way is in place - I'm thinking like you but when I first worked on this motor it pumped fine then stopped so I did all the work and now still no water. When I pulled the power head it all looked pretty good underneath I am going to pull the head next and take a look see - I'm baffled

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Ok update on this DT-4 I still can't figure it out and I'm amazed! I picked up another motor and took the lower unit off and mounted it on mine and it pumps fine. So the problem appears to be in the pump assembly, everything looks perfect. So I take mine apart several times and it looks like some times the impeller blades reverse themselves. I start the motor and it pumps fine for a few seconds then nothing. It is so strange. I actually mounted an electric drill to the drive shaft and put the lower unit in water and it does not move much water this way but I'm not sure if it should shoot a strong stream this way or not. I also tried another pump housing and plate with same results......I'm lost.

13gator

Recruit
I have the same problem on mine. It was working fine and then stopped. I pulled it all down again this weekend and discovered that if you take the rubber plug off the side of the motor where you attach the shift rod, water starts pumping out the pee hole again. My son ran it without this hole plugged and it pumped fine. I thought maybe a mud dauber clogged the exhaust port, but it was clear. Seems like a back pressure is causing it not too pump. I will have to check rotation direction of impeller to make sure it is correct and not creating enough pressure. Other than that I am stumped too.

biglarrr

Recruit
I have been having the problem where the pump stopped working after an impeller change.
The first thing I did was order another impeller from a different seller, and made sure that it said Genuine OEM part. Still had the same issue.
I had meticulously followed the instructions for changing, and rotating the shaft clockwise while bringing the top plate down over the new impeller.

it gets interesting here. I forgot to put the shift linkage access cover back on, and the pump worked and was pushing out of the telltale hole nicely.
I put the access cover back on and it quit pumping. Took it off again and it started pumping. :nono:

I read several forums and the consensus was that the exhaust from the motor was pushing the water back down the tube, and the pump would run dry.
NOTE: the pump would work when the access cover was off, because the exhaust vents thru the access hole with the cover off.
I found another forum post where the owner had contacted Suzuki, and the tech acted like”I’m sick of hearing about this” He told the owner to drill out the relief holes at the back of the motor at least two sizes larger and the back pressure would be reduced enough for the pump to work.

Sooooo – Suzuki knows about the problem and has no recall, no fix, and only an exasperated tech who tells customers to drill holes to relieve the back pressure.
My motor is 1992 vintage, but from what I read the DT4 had this problem for ten years with no recall, or instructions for a fix.

I finally found another owner who said he replaced an oil seal on the pump head, and that fixed the problem.
I went to the Suzuki Part page, and found the seal. It’s a - R91 Genuine Suzuki Marine 09289-10002 Oil Seal. Technically it’s not an Oil Seal since it seals the shaft and prevents exhaust gas from pushing water out of the pump. But so as not to confuse lets call it the Oil Seal.
Since the seal had broken down from either heat or water abrasion or both, I suggest buying a tube of lithium waterproof grease, and coating the “oil” seal when you install it.
While replacing the seal, I spotted another rubber gasket. This one “seals” the water line going to the motor, where it goes into the pump.
Suzuki calls this – The water Pump Case Grommet Part#- U28 Genuine Suzuki Marine 17415-98501 Water Pump Case Grommet.
I really think this may be more of an issue than the oil seal for the top of the pump housing.
You cannot see to line this tube up with the pump when reinstalling the lower unit, and I’m betting this is why the pump quits working when a new impeller is installed. Now that I know about this blind install, I am going to do my best to carefully install the lower unit with perfect alignment, and pray for success.
I am even considering smearing the shaft with flexible gasket sealer and letting it set all winter hoping it dries and forms an exhaust proof seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.