Suzuki DT 150: No Reverse, Now No Neutral Either

ggray

Seaman
Just launched the boat for the first time in a year and a half, and it wouldn't back off trailer when put in reverse. However, it could shift into forward and I could see the thrust.

After shifting back and forth, it still would not shift into reverse even though the linkage inside the cowling appeared to be moving like it should when gear lever was shifted. Now it seems to be stuck in forward.

Any (hopefully easy) suggestions? I'm afraid it means pulling the lower unit off.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Suzuki DT 150: No Reverse, Now No Neutral Either

Has any work been done on the motor during the year and a half lay-up?

ggray

Seaman

Well, yes, it was just in the shop 3 months ago to fix an intermittant problem with the engine stumbling and sometimes cutting off at odd times. Mechanic determined that the called for resistor plugs were not installed, and the non-resistor plugs were interferring with the electronics.

He probably never looked at whether the engine shifted as I didn't ask him to. I will however check w/ him tomorrow. He is not close by, so I'm hoping not to need to take it to him. I'm sure he and others have a backlog now, too.

GA_Boater

OK - Did it shift correctly the last time on the water?

ggray

Seaman

Yes, it did. No problems.

GA_Boater

I don't know too much about Suzukis. I was looking for something generic. All I can suggest, unless one of our Suzuki guys see this, is to disconnect the shift cable and see if you can shift into FNR by moving the linkage. At least that will isolate between the linkage down to the lower unit and the remote control/cables. Hope that helps some.