Yamaha fast idle adjustment question

grog337

Cadet
Recently rebuilt the carbs on my T50TLRV (1997 4-stroke, 50 hp Yamaha) and made the adjustments noted in the Yamaha service manual (synchronizing, choke adjustments, etc.), but one seems to not be turning out right.

I think it is related to the "fast idle adjustment". After adjusting the screw/lever for this, the engine starts with a really high RPM and never really goes down to normal. After the engine stopped, it doesn't want to restart (seems to be flooded). This adjustment almost seems to be a "low end" limit on the idle rather than a high end one and the adjustment seems to lock the idle from going below a certain point.

I messed with it a bit and got the initial idle down to a reasonable level. While cold, the idle seemed to be OK, but after running a while, the idle dropped really low (at or below 500) and was wanting to shut off.

I don't really understand what this adjustment does. If I did, it might make more sense and I can figure out what's not right. What is the purpose of this adjustment? Is there a trick to it that is not in the manual?