Yamaha Tach Question - Need Part Number 2001 Motor

big_chief

Seaman
My tach display is shot. I can't seem to see a Part Number on the unit itself, unless it wore away?

Someone told me there are specific models... but then someone else just said to pay attention to 1 plug or 2 plugs?

My unit has 1 plug. Motor is 2001 Yamaha 150TXRZ

I see atleast 3 different units (diff PN's) on ebay (I was just trying to get an idea of price)... any help on the actual PN of what I need is appreciated. Thanks.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha Tach Question - Need Part Number 2001 Motor

Can you post a photo of the back of your tachometer? Something that shows the connectors?

By the way, there are two basic styles of Yamaha tachometers. One with one four pin nylon connector (for 2005 and later Yamaha US motors) and one with two four pin nylon connectors (for 2004 and earlier Yamaha US motors).

A 2001 150TXRZ would normally use a tachometer with two four pin connectors. Strange that yours has but one connector.

big_chief

Seaman

My mistake... I didnt follow the assembly fully the first time I looked. I was only looking at the actual tach and not the plugs just 10 inches away... brain fart. Attached are pics, yes, I do have the 2 plug unit. Is there a part number for it?

tach1.jpg
tach2.jpg

big_chief

Seaman

I should also ask... Whats the best way to test this? My assumption was the unit was shot (display) only because the speedo directly next to it did actually have a bad display. Its showing faintly on the speedo, but the tach is 100% blank.

What is the best way to test. Assuming I could use a multimeter from these 2 plugs as a test.

Thanks for your help,

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

When power is applied to the tachometer all of the pixels should illuminate for several seconds. And with the tachometer being powered, you can ground the wires (but not the orange one as that is 5 volts positive) to see the various functions operate.

That is the only test that I know of.

Any Yamaha tachometers with two square connectors will work. There several different versions. All have different parts numbers. Latest is what is known as a -83 tachometer. Top of the page at this link

http://yamahaoutboards.com/Marine_Rigging_Parts_Catalog/#13/z

Last edited: