Suzuki DF 90 - 2001 - Tilt Trim Replacement

drekeith1

Recruit
Suzuki DF 90 ? 2001 Tilt Trim. My first time posting. Well the tilt trim finally gave up on me after 12 years. Went to hook boat up this weekend and went to raise motor. I would not go up, or very slowly. I will go back down. The motor sounds OK up and down but a lack of oil is the problem. Anyway I noticed some oil had leaked on the ground so got to looking and at first I thought it may be a bad o ring between the Reservoir Tank and the manifold assembly b/c that is where the signs of oil started (No sign of oil through where the tilt rod becomes exposed?at first anyway). Anyway I tugged and pulled the motor up while at same time pressing the trim up button for some help and sat it on the flip down supports. From here I turned the manual valve set counterclockwise to free it up (took me a little reading to figure that out?and that I should have done that in first place to get the motor up) anyway When I cracked the screw counterclockwise a couple of times I could hear fluid start squeezing out and she is like chocolate milk. So I figure the oil had water in it from a bad seal or something and now with the 10 degree weather we had over the winter, something has let go and cracked. Oil came squeezing out around the front side of where the manifold assembly joins the reservoir tank and out of the top of the tank where the tilt rod comes out. (See image)
OK, my question is before I try and take this thing off myself, is the whole thing probably trash or can it be repaired. The whole assembly is very expensive (like $683 for the Manifold Assembly, $166 for tank on Browns Point?s website) . I hate to take to a mechanic if they are going to ream me by making it easy on themselves an ordering whole new PTT assembly, motor and all. I think I can support the motor and all and get the thing off but not sure about working on it in too much detail after that(although I do have service manual and) and fairly handy with this type of thing I am no expert and tend to tear up more than I fix at times. I change the oil, plugs, filer, foot oil and have changed the water pump so I figure this can?t be too bad. With exception of having to take one side of the motor support off in order to get this thing out and hoist the motor. Any thoughts or suggestion appreciated.

Attachments

• trim.JPG
    trim.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 0