2001 Yamaha Gauge Questions: Speed Tach Multi Function

big_chief

Seaman
Hello, got afew troubleshooting questions.

2001 Yamaha (150TXRZ) with multifuction speedo and tach guages.

Got the boat about 6 months ago. Motor runs fine and I knew the prior owner and boat history. The gauges never worked since the day I got it. There appears to be a slight haze on the inside of the glass (moisture?). I did some trouble shooting today and found a blown fuse... when I replaced I was able to get a VERY DIM readout. I assume the gauge is bad. Is there a fix for this? Or just swap them?

Also, out of the dimness, the gas "bar" portion was darker, but it flashed on 1 bar only. Not sure if this means anything, other than low gas. I checked resistance at the sender and checked fine.

I checked all the wires for each and checked power/ground at the backside of the gauge. Everything seems okay.

Let me know if I missed anything. I wanted to get some insights before I dumped $100+ on each gauge.

Thanks,

big_chief

Seaman
Re: 2001 Yamaha Gauge Questions: Speed Tach Multi Function

Ha, let me back up a second. $100+ <--if Im lucky the get a used one.

If needed, are there any alternatives? Correct me if I am wrong: on the Speedo, there is speed, gas, batt and trip. I can do without speed (use the gps instead) and don't need trip. Batt is nice, but I can check manually if needed. All I really need is gas. Is is common to dump the multi setup and use individual? Would you just cap the wires and leave them? Cap the clear tube also?

I guess the Tach side has more to it... oil, water, tach... replace it or break them up also?

If I'm out in left field, just let me know... thanks again for any insights.