SS collar & spacer on shaft above Yamaha F115 Water Pump

cps22

Cadet
2007 Yamaha F115 4-stroke
I replaced the water pump impeller on this "new to me" motor.
I struggled getting the SS collar off the plastic spacer, but through the help of the manual was able to get it off.
However, getting the spacer back on the shaft is proving very difficult.
If I hadn't taken if off myself, I wouldn't believe it would go back on......

By design, the plastic spacer is split. When holding the plastic spacer and SS collar in my hand, the collar slips over the spacer easily and both ends of the split spacer appear to be touching.

When I slide the plastic spacer on the shaft and push it near the water pump the spacer expands to accommodate the size of the shaft. The split between the ends of the spacer expand to about a 1/8" gap. I can't get SS collar back over the spacer. Not even close. In the manual, it suggests using a pipe slid over the shaft to evenly push the collar over the spacer. I've tried that to no avail. Also used a 7/8" washer which just slides over the shaft thinking that would more evenly disburse the pressure over the collar. If I hadn't taken if off myself, I wouldn't believe it would go back on....

It took about an hour to remove the lower unit, install the impeller, and put bolt the water pump together.
I've been messing with the SS collar for over 2 hours now and no further along.

I also got a new spacer. No observable difference between new and old spacer.

I also noticed that the spacer & collar are only used on a few HP engines.

Anyone have any suggestions? This is driving me crazy...

I've looked through the Yamaha forums, but haven't seen any reference.

CPS22

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
Re: SS collar & spacer on shaft above Yamaha F115 Water Pump

Hey cps, I just took off my lower unit too. I had trouble taking off the collar and spacer off. How did you get it off? Thanks

Last edited:

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Using a screw driver blade or similar tool you pry up a bit on one side of the collar and then pry a bit on the other side. Then repeat the process until it pops loose.

Use a tool to drive the SS collar back over the plastic collar. A Crescent wrench will work. Expand the jaws so that it just slips over the drive shaft. Lower the wrench until it is resting on the SS collar. Tap the wrench with a hammer and it will press the SS collar over the plastic collar.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Do you think my water impeller can be used for one more season? I'd rather not go thru the trouble of replacing if I don't have to. Thanks

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Neither I nor anyone else can (or should anyway) hazard a guess as to the condition of your impeller and how much longer it can remain in service.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah I hear ya. I'm going to try and remove it tomorrow. Thanks for the help I appricate it