2002 Yamaha 115hp 2 Stroke - Is this compression ok?

jfsegar

Cadet
Hi All -

I went to buy a 18' Carolina Skiff with a 2002 Yamaha 115hp 2 stroke on the back. It sounded good on muffs and was clean as a whistle. However, when I did a compression test it was between 75-80 PSI across all 4 cylinders. This test was done after letting the motor run on muffs for about 5-10 minutes. The motor wasn't hot, only slightly warm. I did not touch the throttle. The temperature outside was around 55 degrees. The motor is oil injected and the plugs seemed to have a good bit of oil on them.

I didn't get a chance to water test it. The compression gauge looks like it's in good condition. My question is, 75-80 PSI sounds low, right? I know the saying "it should be within 10-15% on all cylinders." This one is but just a little concerned.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2002 Yamaha 115hp 2 Stroke - Is this compression ok?

My thoughts are that the gauge should have been calibrated, the motor should have been hot, the throttle held wide open and the motor cranked until the pressure stopped rising.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2002 Yamaha 115hp 2 Stroke - Is this compression ok?

Your cylinders are in a small range. That tells me compression is okay and your method of measurement is flawed.