1989 Yamaha 90hp Trim/Tilt Problem

NZ-Kevin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, first post here as I bought a boat with a Yamaha 90 on it. A few weeks ago I noticed that the engine was dropping down on the hydraulic ram. When I left home the safety stand was free but when I got to the ramp the motor weight was down on it and I had to pump the hydraulics back up to release it. I checked the manual and bled the air out, which seemed to cure it for a while but now the problem is back and even worse. I bled the air again and topped up the fluid, but that didn't help. I have the manual but it's not very helpful and seems to be describing a different installation to this engine as you can't do what it says. I presume a seal is leaking or a valve is sticking and I need to strip the unit down and replace the seals and clean it, but as I mentioned the instructions in the manual don't apply to this engine and it doesn't give any real detail anyway.

Can anyone advise on how to fix this problem, or point me to the information required please.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Yamaha 90hp Trim/Tilt Problem

Anybody out there with an answer? I'm interested in this issue as well. Thanks

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Yamaha 90hp Trim/Tilt Problem

I have a yamaha manual that might cover that engine. Could you provide more info about the engine?