Suzuki 2.5 hp 4-stroke 2006 model

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hi guys,

So, I've got this engine that, to be honest, has never really run well from the day it was purchased new. New out of the box, it would run flawless for an hour, maybe more, maybe less, and then out of nowhere bog down and stall. Usually you could choke it back to life and get some more time out of it. Now it has degraded to the point that it will only run with the choke closed. It seems to run very smooth with the choke closed, but when you open it to run it, it stalls. Every time.

The motor has very few hours on it, hardly used (because I never trusted it!) Any ideas what I could try.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Suzuki 2.5 hp 4-stroke 2006 model

Sounds like a plugged carb jet...should be easy enough to remove carb, carefully disassemble, clean jets with fine wire, carb cleaner, compressed air, re-assemble, re-install. The jets in these carbs are very small and any debris can/will plug one up. Check carb for float chamber drain screw and learn to drain that chamber a few times a year and especially during any lengthy motor lay-up periods of several weeks or months.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

You really need to have these carburetors cleaned in a heated ultrasonic tank, and, to be successful it should have been done as soon as you had a problem. It's not so much the jets, but all the other tiny passages that you cannot get to. Those engines run very well if taken care of, and if a fuel issue does occur, it needs to be addressed immediately. Most likely, since you have let this go so long, you will need to purchase a new carburetor. They are not too expensive - $130.

If it did not run well when new, why didn't you bring it back to the dealer for repair under warranty?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I have a 2012 version of the same engine and it never ran right from new, even when the dealer put on a new carb. The cure was changing one of the jets and adjusting the idle mixture. They are not set up right from the factory. I luckily got ours from a local dealer not an on line one. Any one who buys one should make the dealer test run it in a tank to make sure it does not cut out when the throttle is opened off idle.