Rope cranking

76papa

Recruit
I will soon have a '06 Yamaha 115, 4 stroke. My question is can this engine be rope started in a failed battery situation? I know a 50hp can.

Re: Rope cranking

Probably yes. I have a 2013 115 four stroke Yamaha (love it) and it actually comes with a starter rope. Honestly...I was surprised but apparently it works in the event of an emergency.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

probably need some good muscle to turn one that big over fast enough to start.
Just be careful and do not hurt yourself when trying

Capt Ken

Commander

But first you need a wrench to remove the bolts holding the flywheel cover on. Only way a normal person can spin one is with someone turning the key to get some assistance from the starter.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

No, there is no way you can pul start such a big motor ... unless you are Chuck Norris .... yes they give you the starter rope with, but I am sure they giggle as they slip it into the little tool bag ...

Capt Ken

Commander

I'm going to have to look again but I don't remember the F115 flywheel having a place to wrap a rope.

76papa

Recruit

No, there is no way you can pul start such a big motor ... unless you are Chuck Norris .... yes they give you the starter rope with, but I am sure they giggle as they slip it into the little tool bag ...

Are we speaking from experience or an educated guess?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

I will soon have a '06 Yamaha 115, 4 stroke. My question is can this engine be rope started in a failed battery situation? I know a 50hp can.

I say that it can be pulled started. Don't listen to the naysayers. People that can't do things seem to feel that others can't as well, and seem to want them to not even try. I can't throw a football 50 yards but there are those that can.

Now, can YOU start it manually? Only you and you only need to know.

Once you get the motor practice doing it. If you are successful when practice starting it then it will be much less stressful when you need to do it out on the water. You will know what tools you needed and maybe work up a procedure that is usefull to you. If you can't manually start it then consider carrying a spare battery that is isolated from the main battery.

For instance, you might need to use both hands (is a bigger handle needed) and find that you also need to push against the transom with a leg. Use your arms, legs and whole body to pull if that is what it takes. My arm only is not enough. Yours might be if they look like Steve Garvey's. Think of popeye if you don't know of Steve.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Are we speaking from experience or an educated guess?

Nattering nabobs of negativity are everywhere. Trying to put gray clouds overhead.

Either the guy is physically too weak to pull start an F115 or he is not knowledgeable of the fact that some folks can. If he can't due to strength or knowledge limitations, then obviously no one else can seems to be his conclusion. Otherwise, that might make him feel to be a lesser man in his own mind.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I say that it can be pulled started. Don't listen to the naysayers. People that can't do things seem to feel that others can't as well, and seem to want them to not even try. I can't throw a football 50 yards but there are those that can.

Now, can YOU start it manually? Only you and you only need to know.

Once you get the motor practice doing it. If you are successful when practice starting it then it will be much less stressful when you need to do it out on the water. You will know what tools you needed and maybe work up a procedure that is usefull to you. If you can't manually start it then consider carrying a spare battery that is isolated from the main battery.

For instance, you might need to use both hands (is a bigger handle needed) and find that you also need to push against the transom with a leg. Use your arms, legs and whole body to pull if that is what it takes. My arm only is not enough. Yours might be if they look like Steve Garvey's. Think of popeye if you don't know of Steve.

The more cylinders the more resistance is the way I look at it, but never tried on a motor that big of HP.
An old 45 HP Sea Horse is the largest I ever had to do and it was tuff going for me, but I was a young and light weight back then (late 60s).

The owners manual says yes it can be rope started.
Manuals are good to have and read if you would like info on a motor.
look up your owners manual on line, you can read usually but not down load from Yamaha
Here is a little out of the manual for a 06 F115

6. Pull the rope slowly until resistance is felt.
7. Remove the rope from the flywheel temporarily.

8. Rewind the rope around the flywheel approximately 3/4 of a turn clockwise.

9. Give a strong pull straight out to crank and start the engine. Repeat if necessary

Last edited:

Capt Ken

Commander

Ole dad had a 50hsp Seahorse Johnson of 1960 vintage when I was growing up. Four cylinder the size of modern V6 engines. I use to pull start it when the battery was dead but then I was 18 years old and full of **** and vinegar. I did have to put my foot against the engine to get leverage. Engines back then still had recoil pull cords.
Now the question for pull starting a newer 4 stroke? If the battery is completely dead, there is no juice to activate the electric fuel pump thus you can pull all day and its not going to start.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Ole dad had a 50hsp Seahorse Johnson of 1960 vintage when I was growing up. Four cylinder the size of modern V6 engines. I use to pull start it when the battery was dead but then I was 18 years old and full of **** and vinegar. I did have to put my foot against the engine to get leverage. Engines back then still had recoil pull cords.
Now the question for pull starting a newer 4 stroke? If the battery is completely dead, there is no juice to activate the electric fuel pump thus you can pull all day and its not going to start.

Good point

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

My Merc V6 EFI was remarkably easy to pull start. I attributed that to its low compression and the fact that if but one cylinder fired the motor would start and run. But yes, I used two hands on the pull cord and a foot pushing against part of the boat.

People have been hurt when the key was left on and a flywheel got turned by hand. Motors can start when least expected.

Now granted a four stroke has more compression and will take more effort to pull start. But, it can be done on an F115.

Go to the local general aviation airport some time and you might see a six cylinder 300 HP motor being started by hand. Flip the prop down quickly by hand and if the stars and moon are aligned correctly she will light right up. Of course this is a young mans job that old dogs like me no longer do.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure most any type or HP engine can be started by somebody some where, I'll give you that. But realistically what can a normal operator pull start, should be the question. I would probably have a huge issue pull starting a 6 cylinder of any O/B design myself. I have arthritis and know my limit. So such a question is mostly ambiguous at best. The absolute only way to know for your own piece of mind is to start your O/B by pull starting. Then you will know your answer for that engine. Personally, I would take the time to remove the starter battery and move the trolling motor battery to start an engine of any substantial size... But that is just me! Knowing what you can honestly do instead of just thinking what you could possible do in an emergency is your answer.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

No - EFI engines (except certain Tohastu & Suzuki models) cannot be rope started with a dead battery because the high pressure fuel pumps need a minimum of 9 volts to operate.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

I would suspect that what is described as a failed/dead battery is one that does not have sufficient electrical power to crank the motor. I would also suspect there may be sufficient power remaing to operate an electrical fuel pump and the ECU. But, at some point of "deadness" the motor will not be startable.

Which is why it is good to have a second battery on board, particularly if the need to start the motor is critical. Say thirty miles out in the ocean for example.l.p.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Maybe we should start a neknominate on who can start their motor by rope, should be interesting to watch ....

gm280

Supreme Mariner

You mean "neknominate" was actually a real word? So I too researched that word. Surprised I was!

neknominate; The mating ritual of Aussie Bogans, who in order to demonstrate their ***** length/girth and demonstrate their readiness and desire to mate with other Bogans, must chug a full beer on video, and then nominate another Bogan to do the same.

Now I am rally confused... :eek: :facepalm: