Fuel/water separtor problems with Suzuki DF115 and kicker, need advice.

sturgeonx

Seaman
Hello all

I installed a mercury Fuel/ water separator on my boat for my Suzuki DF 115 and my kicker TH 9.9.

The unit has 1 inlet and 2 outlets ( 1 for each motor) the first year I installed it worked fine.

Now when I run the kicker the main engine stalls when I start it back up and I have to pump the primer bulb. When I run the main engine the gas line get flattened out like there is a restriction somewhere. I changed out the fuel lines and primer bulbs but it still happens. The odd thing is the first year it was fine, could it be something else?

There are no Suzuki dealers in my area and I was wondering if somebody can tell me what fuel water separator I need(if that is the problem) and the size of line for each motor. Whats wrong with my set up?

If somebody knows a good online Suzuki parts dealer I could buy the stuff from and talk to that would be great.

Sturgeon

greg daigle

Cadet
Re: Fuel/water separtor problems with Suzuki DF115 and kicker, need advice.

be sure the primer bulb is before the filter and change the filter it might be cloged.

sturgeonx

Seaman

be sure the primer bulb is before the filter and change the filter it might be cloged.

Greg, the bulbs for each motor are after the filter. If I put the bulb before the filter and none after will it cause a problem when I pump it being that there are 2 outlets on the filter, 1 for the main and 1 for the kicker?

I did change the fuel filter and did nothing.

Sturgeonx

rommel

Recruit

My guess is that the primer bulbs check valves may not be working. I would try to put shut off valves at each outlet of the filter housing. That would isolate each line. I am no expert, but I do not believe you should have both running at the same time coming from one main line. Each fuel pump is creating suction it then comes down to physics. Now the fuel pump will draw against the other fuel pump, the resistance of the line and the resistance of the filter. If fuel pump A is drawing fuel the fuel will come from the path of least resistance. That may mean the opposite fuel line as opposed to through the filter. If you want to run 2 motors at once then to be completely trouble free, you should have two mains from the fuel tank and 2 filters.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

sounds like you have a restriction if the bulbs flatten out.
monitor the fuel pressure /vacuum at different points in the system to see where it is
fuel pick up tube plugging , pinched line, collapsed line, or anti siphon valve maybe
make sure tank vent is venting properly also

scallop

Cadet

why must the primer bulbs be installed before filter?

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove the check ball fitting on the tank as they like to get stuck/ corroded

sturgeonx

Seaman

What to you mean buy the Check ball fitting on that tank?

greg daigle

Cadet

What to you mean buy the Check ball fitting on that tank?

Their's a o- ring in fitting that plugs in too tank check it it might be leaking or just replace fitting

sturgeonx

Seaman

Thanks for the help guys I will be getting the boat out of storage soon, if this white stuff could finally melt.

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

why must the primer bulbs be installed before filter?

It doesn't. The only reason I have heard is so if the bulb disintegrates the filter will catch the debris. I have my bulb after my filter on both my boats and never had a problem!

sturgeonx

Seaman

Their's a o- ring in fitting that plugs in too tank check it it might be leaking or just replace fitting

Hi Greg

I now have acces to the tank and before I try to open the fuel pick up line. I have a few questions. Here is a picture of the line going into the tank. If I loosen this fitting that was attached to the hose will the other side fall inside the tank? Should I change the fuel line, they don't look damaged. This boat is a 2004 and has two fuel pick up line, one is a reserve.

how do I check if the vent is clogged?

photo fuel tank.jpg

Last edited: