2003 25 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke "gearing or shifting problem"

Ewooddro

Recruit
I recently bought a 2003 Yamaha 25HP 4 Stroke (Model F25TLRB) on a small aluminum side console steering Jon boat with a Yamaha 703 remote control. I have no idea the history other than the compression and leak down tests passed with flying colors and the boat ran GREAT all last summer with the exception of the following issue. I am having a problem shifting into reverse. Forward works flawlessly. Before you even think about saying it's the teleflex cables, I promise you it is NOT the cables. Cables are brand new and I have the problem weather moving the gear shift either by hand or by the cables. With engine running I can shift the engine into reverse and it WILL go in reverse but it's obvious that it's not fully engaged into reverse gear and will slightly slip a bit with some fairly bad sounding knocks. I've noticed a unique feature that I'm hoping will be a sure sign that tells you whats wrong. With the motor NOT running I can rotate the prop just a little bit at a time and I will eventually find a spot where it can be shifted into reverse fully engaged and CORRECTLY. It's obvious once you find that "sweet spot" when rotating the prop because it will shift into reverse smoothly and solidly. However most of the time (without finding that "sweet spot") putting it into reverse is only possible by applying more force on the remote than it should take and forcing it into reverse which makes me worry I'm breaking something or something is already broken. I am a capable do it myselfer....I have read ALLLL the shift shaft issues on this entire site. I would think it's NOT a bent shift rod because forward works flawlessly ALL the time while reverse only works correctly with the prop shaft rotated to a certain "sweet spot". I would like to say that common sense tells me that something is going on in the gears or somewhere. I've spectated someone else pull a lower unit down in my lifetime and I didn't find it over my head....but I've never been or seen it go deeper than a lower unit. The gearing is an area I've never been and am unsure if I'm capable of repairing something in that area. Can a shade tree, common sensed tinkerer handle something like this, or should I find a mechanic? Thanks for reading and hope to hear back soon with your detailed diagnosis and opinion.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2003 25 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke "gearing or shifting problem"

It is best to get your hands on a Yamaha service manual for your motor and read up on disassemble and reassemble of lower unit if you want to try it yourself. It will have the steps and tools needed to do the job.
You can then decide if you want to try it.

Maybe the dog and gear are worn/rounded

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2003 25 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke "gearing or shifting problem"

Engines always shift better when running, not uncommon for it to shift hard or not at all when not running. You said your shift and throttle cables are new but are they ADJUSTED properly? It could be as simple as a proper cable adjustment at the motor.