2004 Suzuki DF 225 Has anyone have any idea what this noise is VIDEO INCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

1990tuffy

Cadet
I have put a few hundred hours on this motor all the while the same noise has been there. It is a very distinct knocking/Rattling noise that will only fade out if left in idle for 10 to 15 min:facepalm:. then it will slowly start to go away. When brought back up to WOT and back into idle it is there again. It can be cold or warm no change. Its noise is driving me crazy! I took a short video with my phone yesterday. Like I said I have put on a few hundred hours like this and I figure she would have blew by now if it were anything too serious..Im open to any thoughts. Please give me a direction Thanks 1990tuffy
Here is the video link. click below
2004 Suzuki DF 225 - YouTube

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2004 Suzuki DF 225 Has anyone have any idea what this noise is VIDEO INCLUDED

Quite a racket for a 4 stroke...Removal of cowl with motor running might help identify the source...

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2004 Suzuki DF 225 Has anyone have any idea what this noise is VIDEO INCLUDED

It sounds internal/mechanical/metallic, but whether it's abnormal or not, it's hard to say....it would be interesting to find someone with a motor just like yours and listen to it run for comparison. Most of the 4 strokes I've heard are Very quiet. My motor is an older 2 stroke and I'm accustomed to the "threshing machinery" sounds. We were launching once and I thought I heard some OMG sound coming from my motor, turned it off....my wife said it was the sound of paranoia swirling in my head....and you know what, she was right!....So maybe/hopefully your motor is just fine like it is!....

1990tuffy

Cadet

Thanks Robert but I have seen and heard a few of these around here and none of them make any noise. All you hear is the water pumping and the air intake. This is not a normal noise. I thought valves but why would it go away after a long idal time or when brought up to wot..

robert graham

Admiral

How does the oil/level look?...not dirty or over-filled?....an over-full crankcase can cause noise. How much trouble to remove valve/cam cover just to look for any issues?.....

limitout

Banned

warm the engine up first then change oil and filter and carefully examine the oil and the filter for glitter or anything shiny.

if its the bearings which I think it might be then you should see metal in the oil or filter. its either the crank bearings or the rod bearings but either way its not good but I have seen "clanking" motors last a few years before they let go.

just don't go on any long distance or offshore trips without another companion boat there to pull you in

if the bearings are going then personally I think its worth it to buy a new power head for it or rebuild it all new again while its still in great shape

Last edited:

Capt Ken

Commander

Take a small piece of hose and stick one end in your ear, take the other end and move it around the engine and see if you can tell just where the noise is coming from. If a piston and bearing then it will be more to the side of the crankcase, if more toward the valve cover then it may be in the valve train. But it doesn't sound good either way.

Ra3eiBa7er

Recruit

I also have same engine with noise, any update about yours? please let me know because this is my second time with the same engine with noise.
for sure something happened which caused this noise, in my case I strongly believe it was caused by bad oil filter, because all of this started after oil+filter change.

1990tuffy

Cadet

It is being worked on right now believed to be a timing chain tentioner problem.

robert graham

Admiral

It is being worked on right now believed to be a timing chain tentioner problem.

I hope that fixes it for you....the noise and lack of confidence in the motor is just not too good!....

nickelback

Recruit

Also, started having the same noise DF250 1600 hours. Was incredibly quiet at idle and now the loud slap. My Suzuki guy was sure it was valve tappet adjustment. $600 and we know it is not valve tappet adjustment. Another blog mentioned timing chain slap so I am anxious to find out if that turns out to be it. Looking forward to hearing the results. Thanks.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 2011 DF150 service manual recommends replacement of the balancer chain at 1600 hours. That may be the problem.

1990tuffy

Cadet

Ok got it back and no more noise! Ended up being the timing chain tentioner. Not a easy fix (Need to pull the powerhead) but well worth it! Hope this ends up helping someone else.

dvrdave

Recruit
I know this thread is over a year old, but I just bought a very nice looking used '04 DF250 with 800 hours on it last week, and it has the same exact sounds, but not quite as loud. I was thinking worn timing chain guides or possibly the oil pressure controller for the VVT system maybe causing a problem. But after reading your last post about the problem being fixed I just want to ask if they gave you a receipt with the full break down of parts like, gaskets, seals, tensioner, and how much shop time, Etc. I will be shopping for a Suzuki dealer here to make the needed repairs but really want to have as much info as possible before bringing the boat over there and dropping it off.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know this thread is over a year old, but I just bought a very nice looking used '04 DF250 with 800 hours on it last week, and it has the same exact sounds, but not quite as loud. I was thinking worn timing chain guides or possibly the oil pressure controller for the VVT system maybe causing a problem. But after reading your last post about the problem being fixed I just want to ask if they gave you a receipt with the full break down of parts like, gaskets, seals, tensioner, and how much shop time, Etc. I will be shopping for a Suzuki dealer here to make the needed repairs but really want to have as much info as possible before bringing the boat over there and dropping it off.

tuffy hasn't been here in well over a year. Also your noise may or may not be caused by the tensioner. I would advise not going to a dealer and tell him to replace the tensioner. Please start a new thread after reviewing the Help Tip on top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.