08 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke electric start charging

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a remote Yamaha 9.9 electric start hi thrust.. I'm trying to determine if my charging system is working as I would like to charge my batteries while trolling. It didn't come with any battery hook up cables... I'm trying to hook it up to my battery but wanted to check the voltage to make sure it's working correctly... When I measure for voltage at the posts I get zero volts... maybe I'm measuring the wrong posts or a wire is disconnected.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 08 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke electric start charging

Full model identity needed please.

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's a F9.9ELH

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I see a T9.9ELH but not a F9.9ELH listed are you sure it is a F

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

He says High Thrust in his original post so it has to be a T9.9ELH.

Mr. OP - You say that it did not come with any battery hook up cables. How in the heck are you starting the motor? Are you removing the engine cover and flywheel cover and using a pull cord each time you want to start it?

According to the parts book the motor should have had a set of battery cables included with it that would normally attach to your battery. Current flows from the battery to the motor for start up. Current then flows from the engine generator back down those same cables to recharge the battery.

Once you get a set of battery cables measure the battery voltage before start up. A fully charged battery will read more or less 12.7 volts. Then, start the motor. Recheck the battery voltage after a minute or so. You should see 14.5 volts or so, indicating that the charger is doing its job.

Capt Ken

Commander

There wasn't a T9.9ELH in 2008, its a 2005 model. This whole thing is screwy and I don't think he has an electric start model.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

No one wants to say what motor they have by offering the model identity when they ask for help. So, we are all just guessing with answers 90% of the time. On this message board and all of the others.

He clearly says "electric start hi thrust". But then he says "F9.9ELH" when there is no such thing. And, you are right, a T9.9ELH is not a 2008 production year motor.

But again, lots of owners don't have a clue as to what they own.

PETE BUTZEN

Seaman

Good Morning Guys ; I have not been on I boats in a while saw this thread and I have the same problem with my 9.9 high thrust . My charging system was working 2012 . then 2013 it quit . I would like to know what I can do with out going to repair shop to be fixed . Last year I talked to mechanic and he said it could be several things and it was not going to be cheap . My motor is a 2001 . I dont have the model my boat is in storage . I would think they must of not changed to much ? My 10 hp honda had a small box on it called a rectifier I think ? and that is what the charging . If for some reason you hooked the + and - up in reverse you wold blow that . Does the Yamaha have the same thing ? My wires were never hooked up wrong . I could use some help ! Thanks Pete

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

It is always best to start your own thread with all of the info on your motor,
so everyone knows what motor you are speaking about.
I helps a lot.

Your service manual will tell you the steps and equipment needed to measue the voltage out of the lighting coil and rectifier/regulator to determine which has a problem. Maybe just a wiring/connection problem, but need to test things to make sure

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry for the confusion... I'm a knot head... it's my first Yamaha motor so yeah... I don't have a clue.. after doing more digging it looks like it's a 2008 hi thrust, extra long shaft, electric start, tiller model that was converted to a remote. The guy I bought it from was just starting it manually and running it like that. I don't think it was hooked up to a battery. Someone told me it's a T9.9GEXH but I'm not sure.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry for the confusion... I'm a knot head... it's my first Yamaha motor so yeah... I don't have a clue.. after doing more digging it looks like it's a 2008 hi thrust, extra long shaft, electric start, tiller model that was converted to a remote. The guy I bought it from was just starting it manually and running it like that. I don't think it was hooked up to a battery. Someone told me it's a T9.9GEXH but I'm not sure.

A data plate should be on the left hand side of the motor. It will provide the model and the primary ID. So, the data plate should indicate T9.9GEXH if that is what it is.

But, it should have battery cables coming from the motor which can be used for electric start. And with which charge voltage can be checked when the motor is running and connected to a battery.

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've looked but there doesn't seem to be a plate... when I called the dealer he said it should be sticker and sometimes they come off. There is a sticker w/ date of manufacture... 09/07... but no sticker for model number.

It came without any cables.. I think the guy was just using it as a remote with manual start even though it has the electric start. It seems to have been converted from tiller to remote because the tiller bracket is present.