Yamaha 90hp ltr lower water pump housing stuck

foxden

Seaman
I am replacing the water pump impeller and gaskets on my yamaha 1998 90 hp ltr. I bought the complete kit and haven't been able to budge the lower part of the pump housing. It is the body under the plate beneath the impeller and has a gasket and o-ring below it. According to the diagram it isn't held in by anything once the four pump bolts are removed. I am afraid to hammer it or heat it without damaging either it or the seals beneath.

Any hints on how to remove,it. I could just reassemble the pump leaving it in place but would like to clean out the corrosion or salt holding it in. Or should I just let it be.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

foxden

Seaman
Re: Yamaha 90hp ltr lower water pump housing stuck

Update: my main concern regarding removing the water pump lower body was to replace the gasket and o-ring below it. I realize that the oil seals are there and I didn't want any intrusion of water into the lower unit gear box.

Since I didn't hear any hints on removing it, I went ahead and changed the oil, which was clear of any water. With that information in hand I just reassembled things leaving the lower pump housing stuck in place.

I will eventually replace it, wanting things clean and proper. It will just have to wait until the next impeller change.

If you have any ideas on removing it, I am all ears.

Capt Ken

Commander

Best leave it alone. I've had the flange break off more often than not leaving the rest stuck in the lower. If its not leaking, don't chance making the problem bigger.

foxden

Seaman

Thanks Capt. Ken, that's what I did. Any hint for how to remove it when the time comes? It seems only inevitable.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If that is what you want , I can help

a few shots of PB Blaster and it will slide right out:laugh:

Last edited:

Capt Ken

Commander

I have better luck with ear wax but being it takes a lot, best start building a supply now.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know, but I heard a shot of PB Blaster will make it slide right out.

foxden

Seaman

I appreciate the humor folks, but I asked the question because I was seeking advice from experienced people, not just a bunch of comedians. :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

No! I wanted to hear "a few shots of PB Blaster and it will slide right out."

sorry about that, but I thought I gave you what you wanted to hear..

I am afraid Ken is probably right, if it is stuck there is no puller that I know of to get a hold and pull it with.
brute force and heat would make since.
If you can get it to start moving then it may come on out