Amp Output & Batteries for Yamaha 1989 115 2 stroke

Gary LaRue

Recruit
I've taken my Yamaha 1989 115 hp 2 stroke 4 cyl engine off my aluminum 18 ft skiff for the winter to get it into my garage. I'm rewiring it completely and setting it up with dual batteries, new panels, switches, wiring, etc. and need to know what the total amps output of my engine's alternator is when cruising. I've been told it's likely 30 amps. Need to know to properly size a new Automatic Charging Relay. Engine is a Model C115TLRR. Regarding batteries, I want to replace the one that was in the boat with two new ones. My manual recommends a 12V Type 70 AH (252 kC) battery. I think the AH stands for Amp Hours but not sure if that's the case, nor do I know what 252 kC stands for. The one old battery is a Group 27. From other posts I'm thinking I should be fine with two new deep cycle Group 27 batteries but don't know how their specifications might relate to my Yamaha owners manual recommendation above. This rewiring job has turned into quite a project but fun. I only need a bit of advice on these points to get it all together. Thank you for any insight you might have for an Alaskan fisherman.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Amp Output & Batteries for Yamaha 1989 115 2 stroke

Its more likely to ask about the amps in the Yamaha section.