Yamaha 2S 90 hp oil leak

ed72vette

Seaman
How do you keep the oil tank form leaking out of the oil level sensor cap? I used a plastic tie to secure it, but am not sure it will work. Is there some type of clamp that goes around the cap?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 2S 90 hp oil leak

once started leaking it is best to just pick up a new one

ed72vette

Seaman

Is the cap replaceable or do you have to replace the whole sensor?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

The cap is integral with the sensor.

A plastic tie will most times work. Try and get the kind has the connecting end curved somewhat. Also, two thin tie straps sometimes will work better than one wider tie. Space the connection points 180 degrees from each other.

If tie straps don't work then sometimes heat shrinkable tape will do the job. Wrap the cap with several turns of tape and then heat it gently with a hot air gun. Don't heat it too much as it might deform the sensor seal and top of the tank.

ed72vette

Seaman

Thanks for your the help. I just looked for a price on a new sensor, $150, not a good value for a leaky rubber cap. A better sealing device should have been engineered by Yamaha. I will try all of the above fixes first.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving
Ed

rhd47

Recruit

If you pull low level sensor out of tank I found some small knots on lip where cap goes over it. Dressed down with file @ fixed my leak. Finally